This recipe was compliments of a friend. She posted on facebook. It looked good, so we tried it. Two thumbs up.
No Bake Tamale Pie
Easy Skillet Meals Good Housekeeping Favorite Recipes
We tried a new recipe tonight and really liked it so I thought I would share.
4 teaspoons vegetable oil (I use Olive Oil)
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press
1 pound lean ground beef (or turkey)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 log (16 ounces) precooked polenta, cut crosswise into 8 slices
1 jar (16 ounces) medium hot salsa
1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds.
2. Stir in ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with side of spoon, until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and salt; cook 1 minute.
3. In nonstick 10-inch skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add polenta slices, and cook until golden on both sides and heated through, about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, add salsa and grozen corn to meat mixture; cook 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
5. Spoon meat mixture into deep-dish pie plate or shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole. Arrange polenta on top.
We enjoyed this. I added cheese and some sour cream to mine . I found it spicy , but I have a wimpy spice level. Jay said it did not taste to spicy to him.
5 months ago